Thursday, February 5, 2009

An Introduction

This is Valaraukador of Korgath (Formerly of Duskwood). I am a member of the high-end raiding guild AfterLife. Playing a mage, I watch the changes very closely, and after seeing many drastic changes to the tree, I feel the need to start expressing my opinions on them.
First Off: Mirror Image.
My first expression when I turned 80 and first tried out this ability was "Wow, this is pretty awesome." They were very useful for killing mobs because they instantly (almost) took the aggro off me and tanked them for a decent amount of time and made soloing some otherwise near impossible 5-man group quests possible (for being Frostfire Specc'd, being Arcane specc'd would allow tanking of many more group groups).
Then came the next challenge for Mirror Image: Heroics.
Overall I found them to perform decently on most bosses, but the DPS they added was minimal, but enough to be worthwhile, but there was the few bosses with a mass AoE. Those bosses would one-shot my clones the moment I spawned them. That was the only real setback, though it was very annoying... Though I must say over most bosses it was useful.
Unfortunately Raid environments revealed more problems:
The first boss of arachnid wing, Anub'Rekhan, in Naxxramas, I found no problems with the images, but on the second boss, Grand Widow Faerlina, a major problem was revealed: Lack of Control.
For those of you who don't know the 10-man version of this fight, about a minute into the fight, Faerlina goes into a enrage thats lasts until she dies that increases damage to the point the tank is taking over 20k a hit. (If I remember correctly). And the only way to remove the enrage is to kill one of the four adds she starts with. However, Mirror Images do their own thing when summoned. On this particular fight, the mirror images would generally attack the adds and sheep one of them. This caused problems when they sheeped one of the adds that was weakened to ~10% for a fast kill. And occaisionally killed one of them far early, preventing us from being able to kill Faerlina. And other bosses like Instructor Razuvious, which would do a aoe blast every 15? seconds and would kill all my clones.
So this raises the question: How do we fix these problems?
Solution to Problem 1 (AoE insta Kill): Give Them More Health, or a % of Owner's HP.
Problem: PvPers would QQ about how OP the Clones are and how hard to kill they are.
Solution 2: Make them take reduced AoE damage.
I find this solution to be most advantageous for everyone (PvPers and PvEers alike) because it doesn't make them too much harder to kill in PvP and gives them survival in PvE which is critical for optimum DPS.
Problem 2 (Lack of Control):
Solution 1: Make them act as a Synchronised Pet (All Mirror Images attack the same target and are controlled by the Owner)
Problem: Possibly to much control over the pet?
Solution 2: Make them attack the same target as the owner, and get rid of their polymorph.
Personally I once again like Solution 2 the best because it doesn't give the owner too much control of the Mirror Images, yet prevents the problems caused by them going rampant attacking random mobs. And It also removes what I have found an overall annoying polymorph they keep casting, but then again I rarely Polymorph things. :O

Please leave some replies about what you think should be done about Mirror Image, and other topics for me to QQ on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment